La Poe (Let's All Protect Our Environment) - vintage, used (or reclaimed) purses as a way of recycling our resources. Purses sold through La Poe include a message of environmental consciousness and will include a small pouch of plant seed to encourage replenishment for our earth.

Monday, December 15, 2008

A Woman's Best Friend


This morning I stopped for coffee because today is very cold and rainy, and when I got back into my car, it wouldn’t start. Great. It was pouring down outside and I was stuck in a shopping center parking lot. It could have been worse. I could have been on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

I took a deep breath, gathered myself, popped my hood and stepped outside to lift it completely, then proceeded to go to the backseat where I happened to have my jump starter. I pulled it out of the box (not in the most careful fashion) and lugged it to my car battery. I wasn’t sure if the rain water was going to electrocute me or not but I tried opening the cover on the positive side of the battery, however, it was very tough and I had to go back into my car and pull the key out of the ignition and try to pry it open. I was really afraid I that I was about to break my key, but fortunately it popped open without too much trouble. Meanwhile I was getting drenched because, silly me, I had left my umbrella in my hall closet.

I hooked up the jump starter and went back into the car to try to start it, but still nothing. I went back outside into the rain and realized that I hadn’t turned the darn thing on! I turned it on, went back inside the car, turned the key and presto – my car starts.

I share this story because I feel that it is imperative that women have a jump starter in their vehicle, charged and ready to go at all times. This little gem has saved me on more than one occasion, and this morning, if I hadn’t had it, I’d have to depend on the kindness of strangers, which is not always guaranteed to be timely. Jumper cables are great to have, but a jump starter allows you to jump start your car without another vehicle, saving you precious time, and is a whole lot safer.

No comments: